Is there really a difference in planning a move depending on the distance you are moving? Many of the same moving tips can apply whether you are preparing for a short distance or a long distance move, but there are some things you may want to do differently. First Choice Movers has performed countless successful local relocation across the Toronto area as well as throughout Ontario and offers the following list of do’s and don’ts when it comes to executing a short distance move.
- Take advantage of proximity. If you are doing a long distance move, you may only have the chance to view your new home once or twice before you take possession. Short distance moves may allow the new occupants to visit the property more often, making it easier to take measurements, make plans and purchase items required for the new space.
- Take advantage of local resources. Moving can be expensive so looking for ways to save money during a move are worth it. Because you are moving a short distance, borrowing moving boxes, bins and other moving supplies is an option as you will be able to return the items easily to their rightful owners.
- Still make time to organize and declutter. Even if you are only moving a short distance, why pack and move things you no longer need? Moving of any kind is a great opportunity to go through your items and decided what you want to keep, donate or throw away.
- Make the assumption that it will be easier to do a short distance move on your own. The cost of renting a truck, fueling the truck, food and drink for family and friends helping you move and the physical labour required are not things to take lightly. Your possessions are important and having them handled improperly or broken is a risk you need to be prepared for if you choose to DIY your move. Professional movers are still a smart choice even if you are only moving a short distance away.
- Leave things to the last minute. When you are moving a short distance, you may feel like that gives you the option of not having to be so organized! Yes, you might be able to make multiple trips to your new space or move some things over a car load at a time, but this plan may leave you stressed and rushed as time runs out. It also may leave you feeling like your moving process is taking much longer than it needed to!
As always, finding a trustworthy and reliable moving service is an important step in a successful move, no matter the distance. First Choice Movers is a Toronto based moving service that has movers in Brampton, Mississauga, Etobicoke and across Ontario – all fully bonded, licensed and insured. Contact us for a quote and we’d be happy to discuss your needs and figure out how we can make your move a stress free experience.